What is XELJANZ/XELJANZ XR?
- XELJANZ/XELJANZ XR is a prescription medication called a Janus kinase (JAK) inhibitor.
- XELJANZ/XELJANZ XR is used to treat adults with active psoriatic arthritis in which methotrexate or other similar medicines called nonbiologic disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) did not work well.
- It is not known if XELJANZ/XELJANZ XR is safe and effective in people with Hepatitis B or C.
- XELJANZ/XELJANZ XR is not recommnded for people with severe liver problems.
- It is not known if XELJANZ/XELJANZ XR is safe and effective in children.
How should I take XELJANZ/XELJANZ XR?
- For the treatment of psoriatic arthritis, take XELJANZ/XELJANZ XR in combination with methotrexate, sulfasalazine, or leflunomide as instructed by your healthcare provider.
- XELJANZ is available as a twice-daily pill. XELJANZ XR is available as a once-daily pill.
- Take XELJANZ twice a day with or without food. Take XELJANZ XR once a day with or without food.
What should I tell my healthcare provider before taking XELJANZ/XELJANZ XR?
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. XELJANZ/XELJANZ XR and other medicines may affect each other, causing side effects.
Especially tell your healthcare provider if you take:
- any other medicines to treat your rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, or ulcerative colitis. You should not take tocilizumab (Actemra®), etanercept (Enbrel®), adalimumab (Humira®), infliximab (Remicade®), rituximab (Rituxan®), abatacept (Orencia®), anakinra (Kineret®), certolizumab (Cimzia®), golimumab (Simponi®), ustekinumab (Stelara®), secukinumab (Cosentyx®), vedolizumab (Entyvio®), azathioprine, cyclosporine, or other immunosuppressive drugs while you are taking XELJANZ or XELJANZ XR. Taking XELJANZ or XELJANZ XR with these medicines may increase your risk of infection.
- medicines that affect the way certain liver enzymes work. Ask your healthcare provider if you are not sure if your medicine is one of these.
Common side effects of XELJANZ/XELJANZ XR include:
- Upper respiratory infections (common cold, sinus infections)
- Nasal congestion, sore throat, and runny nose (nasopharyngitis)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)